Controller/Financial Analyst Position Description
Established Golds Gym franchisee (14 locations in the Baltimore, Maryland, Richmond, Virginia and Charleston, South Carolina areas) is currently seeking a Controller/Financial Analyst to work in tandem with the owners and corporate accounting department to provide insight, leadership and support for the accounting and financial demands of the gyms. The ideal candidate will enjoy “rolling up his/her sleeves” and diving deep into the gym’s financials and accounting information to find anomalies and patterns, then provide guidance and suggestions for a path forward. This is a very hands-on role and will require someone who can work independently with little guidance to find data discrepancies. The Controller/Financial Analyst will then use this information to advise owners with informed and timely business decisions. The ideal candidate will maximize return on assets by maintaining and improving financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems while streamlining existing processes. The Controller/Financial Analyst will make proactive executive-level recommendations related to resource and expense management.
- 1) Work in conjunction with corporate accounting for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements and annual audits and annual budgets. Identify trends and provide recommendations based on financial and operational performance.
- 2) Analyze current and past financial data and performance, including but not limited to monthly, quarterly, and annual P&L, Balance Sheet and CAPEX variance analysis.
- 3) Work in conjunction with corporate accounting to ensure the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase orders, petty cash, core employee expense reports, cash control, core payroll processing and total corporate payroll tax compliance.
- 4) Audit the activities of the third-party accounts receivable department to ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable gaining components including billings, cash receipts, application, etc.; funding service management, which includes weekly funding reports and customer service, quarter and year end patrol closing including federal and state reports, and check statistic management.
- 5) Manage external audit process as chief point of contact for the company and providing necessary and requested information to external auditors.
- 6) Work in conjunction with corporate income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- 7) Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company’s value.
- 8) Respond to owners as assigned with accurate and timely work to facilitate their financial needs.
- 9) Assist in preparation of monthly management presentations/reporting packages.
- 10) Identify key metrics that affect the business and be prepared to analyze and report on these metrics.
- 11) Lead special studies that require data compilation; analyze and interpret information in oral and written presentations
- 12) Communicate with co-workers (both internal and third party), management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- 13) Conform and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- 14) Plan and carry out budget procedures for several gym locations including monthly monitoring of gym expenditures and revenues and communicates monitoring status to management; assists gyms in the preparation of budgets and budget materials, reviews and makes recommendations gym budget proposals, assists in the development of multi-year forecast estimates for department expenditures and revenues; reviews department performance measures.
- 15) Develop and maintain budget monitoring models and coordinates production of the formal monitoring report.
- 16) Prepare the organization’s budget forecast.
- 17) Assist in the fiscal evaluation of proposed legislation.
- 18) Manage inventory process.
- 19) Evaluate capital expenditure projects.
- 20) Evaluate new location opportunities.
- 21) Other duties as assigned.
The Controller/Financial Analyst can either sit in our Glen Burnie, MD corporate office or our Richmond, VA corporate office.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
This position requires up to 20% travel.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance.
- CPA certification.
- Ten years of hands-on accounting experience.
- Experience with multiple locations/multiple LLCs/multiple franchises.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Industry experience preferred, but not required.
Today Gold’s Gym is the most recognized name in fitness serving more than 3 million members in 38 states and 28 countries around the world. Always at the forefront of the fitness revolution, Gold’s Gym has continually evolved its profile by equipping gyms with the best amenities, the latest in cardio and strength training equipment and functional training areas as well as the most dynamic group exercise programs including Zumba, yoga, group cycling, mixed martial arts, muscle endurance training, and Pilates. We also offer signature classes which include GRIT, P90X, and RIP 60.
Gold’s Gym is growing and looking for new team members to help us redefine strength. We’ll challenge your skills, talents and abilities and reward your every success. Ask yourself if you have what it takes. Become an active participant in our growth and you’ll share in the rewards for your efforts.
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)